Thursday, February 4, 2016

First in a series


Well, you need to know that for a long time I have been thinking about how to make fiber art in three dimensions.  And in the last year I have been experimenting with heavy machine stitching onto canvas.  So when I got an inspiration a couple of weeks ago I knew what I wanted to do.  The inspiration came from visiting one of my art pals who was taking his photographs and cutting and folding them into little pyramids.  Why not make stitched pyramids, I asked myself?

All the while I was finishing up a couple of quilting projects against deadlines I was thinking about how I was going to make my pyramids, and finally a couple of days ago I got to clear everything away from the sewing machine and get down to business.  And here's pyramid number one.
























It's stitched onto a dark red cotton, beefier than quilt-weight.  I laid some scraps of greenish-gold hand dyed fabric onto the red to give a little color contrast, but they pretty much disappeared underneath the stitching.  You can't really tell the color of the base fabric except at the cut edges.


Haven't figured out whether this should be displayed sitting flat on a shelf, or on a skinny pedestal so the hanging threads can hang down, or maybe suspended from a cord.

As I was sewing the pyramid together, by hand, I found myself fixating on the process and realizing how I could do it better.  So after a brief break to make a new cup of tea, I immediately started in on pyramid number two.  I'll show you that tomorrow.



5 comments:

  1. Visually exciting and intriguing, Kathy! Can't wait to see the next one, and the one after that. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Working in 3D fuels my fire. This new work is v. exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luscious texture. I vote hanging from a cord.

    Mary Anne in Kentucky

    ReplyDelete